If you have been in a car accident and are looking to hire an attorney, there are a lot of options. Because there are so many options, you should be looking for the best attorney for you. Here are a few things I think are important during that search.
1. It is common in car accident cases for the attorney to only accept payment if he wins or settles your case. Attorney's in this area will normally front the costs of collecting your medical records, filing a lawsuit, hiring an expert, and any of the other expenses that may be necessary to get your case to the finish line. If an attorney is asking for a consultation fee for you to cover the upfront expenses or to pay them a retainer to handle your auto accident case, this should be a red flag.
2. The next key factor would be the attorney's attentiveness to the facts of your case and what your goals are. You are the master of your case, not the attorney. If the attorney does not listen to you and act in a way to accomplish your goals, then this will not be a successful relationship. At the end of the day, a car accident attorney is working in the service industry and needs to tailor his representation to achieve your goals.
3. Your attorney should not be afraid to take your case all the way to trial if necessary. There are some attorneys that have a contract provision that they will not take your case to trial. Insurance companies pick up on which attorneys are not willing to go all the way with a case. This can have a negative effect on your case or leave you searching for another attorney in the final hour to represent you at trial.
4. You want someone with a proven track record of success. Ask the attorney if they have handled similar cases and what those results have been. Past success is not always an indicator of future success, and every case is different, but it should give you some idea of the attorney's experience.
5. It comes down to this, does that attorney make you feel comfortable that your case will be in good hands. These factors listed above should provide you a road map, but there are many other factors like communication style, aggressiveness, attention to detail, compassion, etc.
If you would like a free consultation, I would be happy to speak with you about your case. You can reach out via the contact page, email, or by phone.